How to Survive a HARD Season
Have you ever been in a hard season and felt like you’re struggling just to survive it?
The past few weeks have been a major battle. From discovering a large lump on my breast, supporting friends through some deep heartache, horrific tragedies in my town, and so much more than I’ll spare you the details – it’s been a whirlwind. I went from moments of complete peace as I trusted God to sobbing as I thought about the absolute worst that could happen.
It’s been a constant battle navigating a hard season. But, the reality is we all go through a hard season where we’re struggling to make it through. Your circumstances might look quite different, but the battle is similar. Here are a few intentional things that are helping me shift from surviving to thriving in this hard season.
Listen to Worship Music
I LOVE worship music because it’s an intimate way that I connect with God. Here are my go-to songs right now:
- Surrounded – https://youtu.be/vx6mfAgHDsY
- Give Me Faith – https://youtu.be/dNwt7LQiYck
- Do It Again – https://youtu.be/ZOBIPb-6PTc
These songs have been on repeat and will continue to be. Find worship songs that can become your anthem in your hard season.
Create Affirmations & Repeat them Often!
I’m a huge fan of creating future oriented affirmations and repeating them daily. However, when we’re going through a hard season, I think it’s also important that we write out specific affirmations to combat the challenges. Here are a few that I’ve been saying:
- God is my refuge and strength. He is here with me in every trouble. (Psalm 46:10)
- I don’t have to fear because God is with me. He is strengthening and helping me. He is upholding me with His righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)
- God is restoring my health and healing every wound. (Jeremiah 30:17)
- God is with me and he’s fighting every enemy to give me the victory. (Deuteronomy 20:4)
Create some affirmations that are specific to your hard season and commit to repeating them often!
Focus on the Blessings
Every day (and sometimes multiple times throughout the day), I grab a piece of paper and write out my gratitude list. I remind myself of how God has been faithful over and over in my life. I write and write everything that I’m grateful for until God’s peace settles me at my core.
It’s amazing how choosing to be grateful in the midst of the hard season can shift positively shift our focus.
Transform Your Thoughts to God’s Truth
As negative thoughts come to mind, I immediately write them down and ask God to show me the truth. I love to use google (or my Bible) to find the scripture I need to combat the lies of the hard season. Here’s an example:
- The Lie – My family isn’t safe. (Then, imagining so many horrific things!)
- God’s Truth: “The Lord is my protector; he is my strong fortress. My God is my protection, and with him I am safe. He protects me like a shield; he defends me and keeps me safe.” (Psalm 18:2)
I know how challenging the hard season can be. However, these intentional shifts have made a huge difference for me and I think they will for you, too!
I’d LOVE to learn from you! When you’re going through a hard season, what helps you?